17 January, 2012

How much is the French SommerAnn like the American SommerAnn?


I’m now in my first week of classes at the AUCP, and assimilating into the culture here in Aix. I’m learning that there are many minute adjustments that come with living in another country that might not be apparent at first glance. As I learn more about the French culture, and experience it every day in my apartment, the cafés, and on the streets, I realize that every student must go through a personal shift during his or her time abroad. Taking this evolution into mind, I couldn’t help but wonder…

How much is the French SommerAnn like the American SommerAnn?

As part of our orientation program, we’ve been talking a lot about cultural education and cultural intelligence. There is much more to living in another culture than simply possessing cultural tact or sensitivity. I feel that in America we are forced to have such tact to act in our society both politely and with our American notion of being “politically correct.” I’ve always thought myself to be culturally open and tolerant if not completely accepting of people’s cultural backgrounds. Thus far in my life, acting and thinking according to such principles has served me well, and I don’t think anyone would describe me as culturally insensitive or close-minded.

After my first two days in Aix I’ve learned, rather alarmingly, that this method of thinking is not going to suffice during my time abroad. One cannot simply respect another culture when living in it, one must assimilate, and one must adopt to the customs of the culture. I cannot simply think in my head “Oh, that’s so interesting that the French think interdependently and really value family.” I must change my habits to demonstrate my understanding and my respect of their culture. This means asking my host mother to join me and meet my friends when they come over to the apartment, this means asking my host family for recommendations when I’m travelling somewhere so they don’t feel left out. This means taking definitive actions each day that are not within my American cultural vocabulary.

The Cours Mirabeau, the main street in Aix. (McCullough, 2012)
Adapting to this new belief is going to be a process, but it is one that I am ready to take on! I’ve always been a very emotionally sensitive person, and thus these lessons in cultural adaptation have me worried almost constantly that I am somehow offending my family. (This morning, I made a point of asking Frédérique if I could drink my coffee in my room as I finished getting ready. Food is almost strictly reserved for the kitchen in France.) Of course, I know that coming in with a good heart and good intentions shines through even if I make little errors along the way; but it isn’t enough to simply think about “doing the right thing,” one must enact this belief at all times. I continue to try each day, little by little, to assimilate to this new belief and start thinking less like a tolerant American, and more like a practicing French native.

While there are definitely aspects of the American SommerAnn that are changing due to this French adaptation, there are certain parts of me that I don’t think will be evolving any time soon. One of these facets includes my guilty pleasure of reality television shows. Monday night, I watched the series premiere of  “L’amour est dans le pré” or the French version of The Bachelor. While the show uses all the same cheesy lines of  “finding true love” with the same types of amusing and crazy contestants, it is very different in the fact that it takes place with 14 people each season. There are seven women and seven men all searching for the love of their lives, and they’re all French farmers! The shows consists of these farmers receiving letters of interest from possible suitors, choosing two, and then having a date with these two people at their house: at the same time, which is where the hilarity and craziness will start to emerge! Frédérique told me this show was great for my French education since I am learning about the French regions (each farmer lives in a different region of France), while increasing my comprehension skills (they don’t speak with a very intelligent vocabulary, thus making it easy and fun to understand!). I like her logic.

Another aspect of the American SommerAnn that I’m sure many wish would change, but I’m afraid is here to stay, is my love of talking…rather loudly. Sadly, this is a very American habit I have developed over the years, and one I have tried to tame in the past, but never to any avail. The other day I was engaged in a conversation with my classmates as we walked down the streets returning to the Center. My host mother, Frédérique, came out of a nearby boutique because she recognized my voice (yes, from inside). It was a very cute moment as we “faire les bises” and chatted a bit about our days thus far. However, it also proved that despite any efforts I have made so far to blend into the French culture by being more discreet, I’m still on the loud side. But, I am not giving up! I refuse to be that annoying loud American girl at the bars this Saturday night.

While I’ve found some customs much easier to adapt to, such as having a café every day (definitely not a burden!) or even doing my Yoga in French (even if it’s only in my head for now!), I know there are many larger adaptations that have yet to occur. As our director Lilli says, don’t think “That is weird” or “That is wrong,” instead ask “Why do I feel that way?” and turn it into a learning experience. I will definitely keep this in mind as I continue to live in Aix.


On a more familiar note, today we had our first true classroom discussion at the Center! We discussed the evolution of the family, looking at the different types of families (nuclear, single parent, same-sex parents, etc.), the idea of divorce, and the concept of egocentrism in our modern culture. The comfortable banter of voices, philosophies and scholarly opinions reminded me so much of a Denison classroom! I knew I could never leave my liberal arts education behind, and am so glad to discover that the same class atmosphere of healthy debate can be discovered in a French classroom. It makes me even more excited to start my true classes next week.

I’ve continued to meet new students at the Center this week, and am very excited to get to know everyone else better! Forming friendships with other American students, in French, has been a very fun experience. I’m pretty sure I’m still the same SommerAnn in all of those regards!

A tout!

Bises,
SA

1 comment:

  1. I laughed at first at the idea of French vs American SommerAnn. I thought you had created some super french alter ego that only comes out on french soil of after imbibing gratuitously.

    But you bring up a universally valid point. I dealt with it in americorps because even though we're all american we were all from very different backgrounds. And there are things about everyone's culture that are "deep" and unseen. And sometimes unlearn-able at first. It's more obvious for you because everyone understands that you might now know. And that's a real asset because you can use it as you have been to gain a real understanding. But it happens between people of the "same culture" too. You can probably retain this culture sensing skill and use it when you come back to better understand why some people act and react the way they do. I've all but forgotten it. :)

    I'm glad you're trying to really embrace France. I knew you would.

    ReplyDelete