12 January, 2012

What will I do now that my childhood dream is coming true?


"In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines lived twelve little girls in two straight lines. They left the house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine. The smallest one was Madeline.”[1]

I’ve been sitting here in Chicago, or more like frantically running last-minute errands and purchasing must-have products for France, still in disbelief that I’m going to be living in France for the next five months. Between all the travel book purchases, messages to friends for abroad advice, and struggle to stay within the 50lb packing limit, it’s easy to get lost in the preparation. Now that the departure date is upon me, I couldn’t help but wonder…[2]

What will I do now that my childhood dream is coming true?

La Petite Danseuse, Edgar Degas. (McCullough, 2007)
Most 5-year-old girls dream of becoming a princess or going to Disney World, I always dreamed of living in France. From the moment my mother brought home the childhood picture book Marie in Fourth Position (based on Edgar Degas’ creation of his Impressionist statue La Petite Danseuse) I’ve been dying to visit the statue in Paris and live in the beautiful country of ballet and art. [3]  Over the years, I re-read that book many times, along with the well beloved Madeline series that the title of my blog references, dreaming of the day I would see the charming markets and bustling city for myself. I saw Degas’ La Petite Danseuse at the Musée d’Orsay in the summer of 2007. It was a true out of body experience. While I was only in the City of Lights for a mere eight days on a trip with my high school choir, I was enamored. Paris had exceeded any expectations I had about the romance and grandeur of the French culture. I know that the south of France is about to eclipse the same anticipations.

Living in Aix-en-Provence for five months still doesn’t seem possible. How did I get so blessed to take this journey of a lifetime? I try to remember to be thankful for this opportunity every day, and I know there will be many more dreams coming true over the next few months. (I’m a very ambitious traveler!) I hope to share some of these “trips of a lifetime” with you, and allow you to visit Europe and experience the French culture with me.

I admit I am a little nervous as the final shoes get packed and the hostess gift for my family is wrapped up, but that’s natural. I know everything will work out the way it’s supposed to. I am embarking on the ultimate educational experience, and I know I will never look back. While I will miss my friends and family dearly during my time in Europe, I know that they will be with me every step of the way through postcards, letters, Skype, and this (hopefully well kept-up!) blog.

Now it’s time for my story to unfold, my passport to get stamped, my cultural appreciation to expand, and my wine palette to become more sophisticated! A bientôt!

Bises, xx.
SA


[1] From Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
[2] This narrative device is à la Carrie Bradshaw who has taught me that a good Cosmopolitan (or in my case glass of wine), and chat with your girls can fix any problem.
[3] Marie in Fourth Position by Amy Littlesugar

1 comment:

  1. Hey SommerAnn,

    First, nice background. Second, nice footnote citations.
    I have some questions. What do you mean by the "final" shoes? How many shoes can there be? And why do these shoes have to be final? And just how many travel books did you get? How many did you read? (you don't have to answer these questions. they're of a more rhetorical character.)
    I'm writing this in the middle of a very boring class so thank you for your entertaining reading! I did enjoy it.
    Can't wait for the next post. The blog looks great!

    -David

    ReplyDelete