What a whirlwind of a weekend it has been! Flying from Chicago to Philly to
Munich, and finally to Marseilles, I am now home safe in my apartment in Aix. I
have already enjoyed one and a half wonderful days in this bustling cosmopolitan
city, and couldn’t be more happy with my choice to live in the south of France.
With so many astounding experiences: a tour of Aix, walking around Mont
Sainte-Victoire, chatting with my new family, and enjoying my first glass of
Provençal Rosé, I couldn’t help but wonder…
When will the newness ware off, and this reality stop being "too good to
be true?"
While I’m sure that after my first week here everything will start to
become second nature (Frédérique assured me that after one week I would know the centre-ville
like the back of my hand, despite the many confusing turns among the
cobblestone streets), I dearly hope that this will never stop feeling “too good
to be true.” I believe the scope of this experience will never stop surprising
me, or making me feel fortunate to be here, no matter if I’m in my first or last
month of the semester!
Leaving Chicago was harder than expected (I shed quite a few tears!) but
the second I was on the plane I knew this was just the experience I’d been
waiting for! After meeting up with Grace in Philly, we travelled together to
meet our mothers in Marseilles. While I arrived very tired, hungry, and a
little disoriented, talking with my mother Frédérique was no problem at all.
After we «faire les
bises» (one part of the French culture that I wish
would catch on in the States! It’s the practice of kissing a friend or new
acquaintance once on each cheek.) we had a quick 20min car ride to her
apartment. We chatted about our families, Denison, and my previous European
visits; despite my jetlag she said I spoke French « très bien. »
Later that evening, after I’d taken a quick shower and had my first
French meal of la quiche, la salade aux champignons, et du pain, Frédérique
took me on a tour of Aix. Stepping onto the Cours Mirabeau, described as “the
most beautiful street in Europe”
I was once again caught up in the grandeur and richness of the French culture.[1] The street was teeming with young people and families, all winding among the
old shops that looked right out of a European fairytale. Walking through the
Vieux et Nouveau Quartiers, we talked about everything from Obama and Sarkozy’s
politics to tourist season in Aix. Between the many turns down café-crowded
alleys we picked up a bottle of rosé and la nourriture chinoise for dinner that
evening.
I was able to meet my sister Clara on the first day as well, and we
bonded over our shared age and work experience, while also talking about our
travels to Asia. This morning she «faire les
bises » with me before I left for a walk with
Frédérique and her partner Bruno, still looking quite tired from her night out
on Saturday. (I’m pretty sure I heard her coming home at 5:00 in the morning,
which Frédérique said isn’t unusual for young people. And I thought partying
until 1:00 was late for a school night!)
We went on a beautiful walk in the park surrounding Mont
Sainte-Victoire, the mountain that Cézanne made famous in his paintings. Every
time we exchanged «bonjours » with the other hikers and bikers, I got
excited all over again to be living in France! I know it sounds corny, but I
just can’t get over that initial wow factor.
| Myself with Mont Sainte-Victoire in the background. (Lacroix, 2012) |
Surprisingly, living in France has taken very little adjustment so far.
The rhythm of the family hasn’t been hard to acclimate to, although dining around
8:00pm would probably be unbearable if it weren’t for the custom of the
apéritif, which I quite adore. Speaking with my family has been very easy, and
Frédérique’s patience when I’m searching for the right word, take a moment for
a conjugation, or don’t understand what she is talking about, never seems to
wane. While Frédérique has praised me for my «bonnes conjugaisons, et très bien français »
I know how much of my success is dependent on
the conversations I have with her, Clara, and Bruno from day to day. I love
listening to the conversations within my family, and know that with each
conversation I am improving my French comprehension skills.
There have been a few funny moments of translation, including when I
thought Clara was imitating a duck (indeed, she was trying to talk to me about
frogs’ legs) and Frédérique thinking my sorority was a religious organization
(due to our use of the term sister), but every moment of confusion has come
with much laughter and eventual understanding on both sides. I also learned
that France has their version of “The
Bachelor,” and after conversing with Frédérique about the TV show, I have a
feeling that her comments would fit in very well with those my mother and I share
each week while watching the reality show.
Tomorrow I start my first day of classes, and while I am a little
nervous, I am also very excited to meet my new classmates and learn more about
Aix and the French culture! A demain!
Bises et Ciao
SA
No comments:
Post a Comment